Thursday, 1 May 2014

[Travelog] A Story of Sadako Sasaki

Thursday, 1 May 2014

The book "Paper Crane Journey" in English and a remake by Fauzia from Pakistan

During WWI until WWII, Hiroshima was the focal point of military activities but everything change after the atomic bomb was dropped by the U.S army in 1945 which caused major destruction. Many local residents died and the rest of them suffering from the effect of the radiation.

If you travel, study or live in Hiroshima, you will be told about this story over and over again but honestly I never feel bored listening to them. During my stay, I regularly went to Peace Memorial Park at least 3 times in a week. The place will be always crowded with local people, high school students and tourist. 



the statue of Sadako Sasaki built by her school friends

One of the story that will be told to you is about a girl named Sadako Sasaki. Truthfully, before I came to Hiroshima, the only Sadako that I knew is the one in the Japanese movie called "The Ring". Until one day, my friend, Khavi roughly told me about this Sadako. 

Sadako was only 2 years old when the atomic bomb was dropped. She was found alive by his mother but in 1954, she was diagnosed by leukemia which was caused by the radiation exposure (during that time, an increase leukemia observed especially among children). During her time in hospital, lot of her friends came and one of her friend Chizuko Hamamoto, cut a gold piece of paper into a square to fold it into a paper crane, in reference to the ancient Japanese story that promises that anyone who fold thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by the gods. Unfortunately, on October 25th, 1955 at the age of 12, she died. Her story is inspirational and is known all over the world.

After her death, the paper cranes became a symbol that representing peace. At the park you will see lot of paper cranes hanging on that area varies in sizes and colours.

you can find this booth in Peace Memorial Park area


the one that i got from my volunteer tourist guide


on the left; the city hall structure

the beauty of paper cranes

If you interesting to translate the book into your language, you can contact Tomoko Watanabe-san for more information. She is the president of ANT-Hiroshima, the non-profit organization that actively involved with the volunteer activities. She is an enthuasiasm person and speaks english very well. :) The book has been translated into Chinese and a remake version has been done by Fauzia Aziz Minallah, a Pakistani artist, author and illustrator of children's books.

References:


11 comments:

  1. What an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing! I guess everyone knows what happened in Hiroshima 1945. But I've never heard of Sadako Sasaki before. I'd love to help translating the book, but I'm by far no professional translator :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are interested for translating into your language, you just can translate word by word and then send the scripts to Tomoko-san, the translating result will be just like the book in the first picture, their team just paste a translating script onto the japanese version.

      if you need the english scripts, i can give it to you by email not by post because i only have one copy of the book and i'm pretty sure, the ANT team will give you one after you succesfully finish the project.. :)

      Delete
  2. That would be so kind, if you could send me the english script by email :) Do you still have my email address or do you want me to send an email to you, so you can reply to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have your email. I will send the script but maybe next week because i left the book in my room.

      Delete
  3. I knew the story from an old children's magazine that belonged to my father. There was a poem about it, but I only remember two lines: "Et ta enne siis ei sure, kui on valmis kord ta kured." ("That she won't die before her cranes are ready once.") I I have made these cranes also with my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you knew this story and you even made the paper cranes with your students.. :)

      Delete
  4. this looks so pretty try to make once animals out of paper but im not good at this

    ReplyDelete

jjajja's journey © 2014