Sunday, 12 April 2015

[Movie Marathon] Noroi: The Curse "ノロイ"

Sunday, 12 April 2015




Lately, I have been so addicted in watching japanese horror movie. Last time, I watched Ousama Game and POV: A Cursed Film, and I could say that the movie were "so-so". This time, I tried watching a found footage film in the form of a documentary. Noroi or in English it means "The Curse" directed by Koji Shiraishi.

ノロイ [written in Katakana Characters]
*********
ノ = No
ロ = Ro
イ = I

Synopsis
A documentary filmmaker explores seemingly unrelated paranormal incidents connected by the legend of an ancient demon called the "kagutaba."
source: iMDB

My Review
Another found footage film and hey! I knew this film was a set-up, not a real event nor based on true event. Basically, this movie is about a documentary filmmaker, Masafumi Kobayashi that focusing on supernatural event around Japan but unfortunately disappeared while making the most disturbing documentary. He make the documentary with the help of Miyajima, the cameraman(the man that his face never once shown in this film)

What I love about this movie is the connection between the people that Kobayashi had encountered, at first, he investigated a woman named Junko Ishii that her neighbour complaint about the weird sounds came from her house. Kana Yano, a girl that seemly having a psychic powers, Mitsuo Hori, a strange psychic man, Marika Matsumoto, an actress that had been haunted by "something" after filming at a shrine and not to forget countless people that he met during the documentary. Everything was led him to one source, Kagubata. What a coincidence..... and eventhough there were so many characters in this movie, that was not a problem because each part of them finally completed the puzzle.

The demon, "Kagubata". At first when I heard "kagubata", I remembered "Kagura" or "God Entertainment" that I used to watch when I was in Hiroshima. It is originally a sacred dances. I can see the similarity with "Ulek Mayang", a Malay traditional dance from the state of Terengganu, Malaysia.... my hometown. Nothing much about Kagubata on internet, so I believe that it was just a made up "demon" for this film. It will be nicer if they used the real "demon" that existed around Japan.


The Kagubata


The Kagura that I watched while I was in Hiroshima(I don't have many photos during the performance because I didn't want the other audience felt uneasy)

The plot is quiet interesting when everything that Kobayashi and Miyajima had researched brought them to Kagubata, the demon and then it brought us back to the past where Kagubata was first summoned and how it became the source of evil epidemic. 

As overall, the movie is entertaining(scary in it own ways) but as usual japanese horror movie will always left us "mind blank" at the end. ?????


Rating
3/5



2 comments:

  1. Do we need to think for the ending? Alaaa, Kak Sha malas nak fikir-fikir ni, hmm. T_T

    ReplyDelete

jjajja's journey © 2014